Sunday, September 21, 2008

Moving On

We went back to visit my parents on this same weekend last year. I think it will be an annual autumnal tradition. The corn is turning a golden, dry yellow. The wind crackles. The sun tires much earlier in the evening. It is good to go to the country at this time of year.

I visited my grandmother and also grandfather and grandmother. They've both got apartments in the nearby city now, having moved from their overwhelming homes. It was good to see them, good to reconnect.

I walked through the home my grandparents moved from. Just down the driveway from the home I grew up in. They've moved on now and all that is left are some boxes filled with odds and ends, their odds and ends.

I will take care of my grandmother's sewing machine. The one she used to make quilts for my children. The one that she used for her wonderful talents. I hope maybe I'll give it a spin soon, maybe sew a dolly dress or the edges of a scrapbook page.

Our grandparents had these things, that mean something. These possessions, that they held on to for so long. My children, they may not find that I've done that. I donate anything not being used. I hold on to nothing.

Now there will be a few keepsakes from great-grandparents. Those, I will hold on to.

It makes a person sentimental, all of this going back.

Tomorrow starts a new day, a new week. I need to shift back to the city me. The one who teaches and runs around and tries to do it all. The one who wasted a lot of money this month paying bills a little late, a symptom of procrastination and a tired mind. The one who needs to tend to her home and get on track.

I'm not sure I've got it all figured out just yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Growing old sucks. Mind you, it beats dying young. But still...

Jenifer said...

Geez I am hormonal you know! I do get it though, the passage of time is dawning on me heavily right now.

Anonymous said...

You give me a call when you want to take that sewing machine for a spin . . . I'm trying to think what A will be for Halloween this year. All of my options will require a lot of sewing.

Beck said...

My grandma will be moving out of her home - the one my grandfather built for her - soon. Excuse me while I bawl, okay?

nikkis30by30 said...

All of this made me cry. Your post, the comments. It's bringing back so many things that started happening this time last year.

I too got my grandma's sewing machine. And three cases of thread. It's still in my closet. I can't bear to use them right now. The hard week I spoke of last is carrying on to this one.

I don't keep many things either. But..... I now have a piano to pass down. And a sewing machine. And a Harvest Table. I have many things now. I don't know that I will be able to pass them on other than in my will, though.

Midwest Beach Girl said...

I got Grams sewing machine. The one that she made my own quilt on. The one that made my prairie dress for the centennial parade and the one that helped to sew holiday dresses when mom was overwhelmed with her four kids. I love traditions and God knows that back when our grandmother's bought these machines, they were made to last!

thirtysomething said...

Hearing this beautiful sentiment makes me wish I had grandparents growing up, and being very glad that my kids ARE experiencing at least one very loving grandparent.
This really was lovely.

Aliki2006 said...

I know what you mean--I always feel torn and strange when I go Home and the old me has to then switch to the busy, every day me.

Michelle said...

I'm glad you had a nice visit home with family...and that it's turning into a nice yearly tradition now. I used to hold on to so much stuff, but with every move I try to get rid of things I really don't need or use...it's hard sometimes though since so many things have so many memories connected to them. I don't think any of us have it all figured out quite yet either! :)