Sunday, October 3, 2010

October 3rd

It's supposed to be special. Yeah? Your birthday.

It has been, for the most part. But...

Turning 33 doesn't seem all that special. It's just another year. To be honest, I prefer even numbers so always enjoy when my age returns to a number divisible by two.

What I do know is this, early to mid October tends to be a time of year when I'm bummed. I have felt that, even today. With all of the changes recently, I feel it more acutely. Displaced. Out of sorts.

Bummed.

So my plan is this.

During the month of October, I am going to make PLANS to make it a more fabulous month. I will not get bogged down by the fact that I live in a new place and that things are so up in the air (a house that won't sell in Omaha, a new job here, deciding if/when to return to teaching, and so on).

I will choose gratitude, joy, and prayer.

I will not let the sadness get me, not this year. Not happening.

Tomorrow after school, we're heading out in the country. I'm hoping to pick apples and think I've found the place to do so. Something to look forward to. Something fun.

That's what I'm going to do.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6 comments:

Jen said...

Sounds like a great plan (and happy birthday!) Moving gets harder as we get older, I think, but it will only be a matter of time before things are "clicking" in your new location. Until then, I like your approach. Attitude isn't everything...but it is a lot.

Now I just have to repeat that to myself a few hundred times this week!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

I get bummed around my birthday, too. Mine's in April -- so maybe it's related to milestones falling in months of bleak seasonal transition.

Apple picking sounds like fun. But you know what sounds better? Apple Crisp. Mmmm. Apples, sugar, brown sugar, oats -- you can't go wrong.

Jenifer said...

Happy Birthday! You feel bummed...I am turning 40 this February, talk about meltdown! ;) I think making plans is key, I love having things to look forward to and we are going apple picking this weekend. Apple crisp is my specialty and it is not at all related to the fact that I can't make pie.

Have a wonderful Birthday.

Aliki2006 said...

It sounds like a wonderful plan for this new year--I"m going to be inspired by you and try your new positive approach, too!

Mimi in the Midwest said...

Sorry I missed your bday. I remember when you were born. It was such a happy time for our Shafer family. You were the beginning of a baby boom. I still remember your beautiful baby face. Now I see it in your babies. It's amazing.

ob1 said...

Happy Birthday OM!
...miss ya!

From ob1 at tntu.net