Thursday, July 16, 2009

Got Zucchini?

Sometimes baking makes me feel such a sense of self-worth, I feel like I should've really opened myself a bakery and baked bread every single day. Really.

Tonight I made this zucchini bread. Which is really very much like cake. Delicious chocolatey cake. Mmmmmmm.

Does it count as a veggie. A healthy baked good. If you stuff it full of chocolate chips, melted chocolate, and a couple of extra tablespoons of cocoa powder - just to be safe?

How about if your flour is 1/2 wheat and you sprinkled in a tablespoon or so of flax seed just for fun?

It's a fuzzy line between healthy and not. The two cups of sugar make it a little less fuzzy, but still. It's so stinkin' delicious and there are 2+ cups of zucchini in there!

There are also three plastic freezer jars of grated zucchini (how much do I love my food processor?) to make three more batches of this deliciousness just waiting in my freezer for another day. Mmmmmmmm.

Oh. I did really add the flax seed. And a little sour cream. A dash extra of zucchini. And two or so tablespoons of cocoa powder. So I'd say I didn't follow that recipe exactly.

Go on now. Use those zucchinis that you let get way too big. I did. And they worked perfectly.

Did I mention - mmmmmmmmmmmm.

5 comments:

thirtysomething said...

Oh, my mouth is watering!!!
My mom made this for us when I was growing up, and still now sometimes. When we moved to the south, people made funny faces and turned up their noses at the northern fave - until they tasted a piece, that is!!
off to go buy zuccini...

Nicole said...

If you add zucchinis to your baking, it automatically makes it healthy. That's what I tell myself about my favourite banana chocolate chip muffins - bananas cancel out the butter, sugar, and chocolate chips. Right?

Aliki2006 said...

I was just scouting around for zucchini recipes-yum! I love zucchini bread and haven't made it in ages.

Debbie said...

Oh yum! That looks fantastic! I'm going to have to grow zucchinis next year.

Cindi said...

I swear that zucchinis are like cucumbers and multiply during the night. My folks are growing zucchini in their garden this year and are still asking me ON A DAILY BASIS if I want any. I'm still telling them ON A DAILY BASIS that we don't like zucchini!