Saturday, July 25, 2009

July 21st


My B turned SIX. It seems like a turning point. No longer a toddler. Preschooler. Kindergartner. She is a school-age child who dreams big and loud.

It is with the usual hoopla that we celebrated another birthday. I don't know if it's because it's in the summer and I'm home from work, but we seem to do lots for anniversary of her birth each year.

We've had a family BBQ each summer where the Hubs and I invite both sides, which ends up being quite a lot of people. We also invited a few friends this year too, which made for good fun. Then on Tuesday, it was our traditional b-day doughnut with a candle and morning presents. She was confused at first, wondering who had joined Catherine (her doll on the right) for a party. Is it mine? She was shocked. An American Girl doll was waiting at the party, just for her. Now she will be able to find a doll that's her very own when the catalog comes in the mail. She has two friends that can sit at the table and share clothes and secrets. It's all very fun!

In the afternoon, we took cupcakes to friends at daycare and then headed off to a local hotel to enjoy their super-fun water park. An overnight stay and another swim in the morning left us all tired and in need of a nap!

Then it was Wednesday. And my baby girl was SIX. She said it over and over. I'm not five any more. It's something that has her very excited. Going to first grade. Impatiently waiting to lose her first tooth. Hoping to pass the swim test to ride the water slide at the Y. There's something magical about this age. If her birthday was any indication, we are in for another terrific year.

Six roses for six sweet years

10 comments:

Aliki2006 said...

Happy Birthday!!!!! Thanks for sharing those wonderful pictures...

Anonymous said...

Wow. B has sure changed in the last years -- but of course I'm only judging by photos -- and you can see hints of her adult face. She's beautiful.

Jen said...

Happy Birthday! I was thinking about finally making the American Girl purchase...it is so hard to know when to do it!

Mimi in the Midwest said...

SIX!! Oh my, oh my- shocking! I keep thinking she can only be 3 because Mason is a baby. NOT! I think she's a dream girl, so full of the arts and imagination and loveliness. HBday Miss B. Love, A Judy

Michelle said...

A very happy 6th birthday for your beautiful girl! Sounds like she had a lot of wonderful celebrations!

Melanie D. said...

B's first doll was from Target, she got for Christmas when she was four and a half. I couldn't shell out the big $$$ for a four-year old, knowing what it would look like in a month. Now she's really into taking care of the dolls' hair and clothes, so I felt better about investing in one now, knowing she'll still be very well loved. I worried about the suggested age (8!), thinking that left very little childhood time of actual doll-playing. Six seems like the perfect compromise to me. :0) The Target dolls are lovely and we've got tons of their accessories (the bath, clothing cupboard, table & chairs). The main difference is in the hair and the fact that they are not in the catalog, if your child is a catalog-looking sort. :0)

Anonymous said...

congrats Miss B!

Nicole said...

I love the doll party! What a great birthday she must have had.

Mimi said...

Holy smokes! This one is growing too! All over the internet, kids are getting ... bigger. Sounds like a wonderful day, and a wonderful year to come. Happy Birthday, B!

LoriAnn said...

I'm so happy you shared these great pictures with us! Happy Birthday, B!