Monday, August 22, 2011

Time flies.

And now we are all in school. The kids will spend their days at our neighborhood elementary school, B is in 3rd grade and Buddy is a kindergartener. Wow.

J and I spend our days at local high schools. The Hubs is principal at our districts high school and I work for the public schools as a special education teacher in the resource room at a parochial high school. It's a strange position to be in, but so far I love it! I always say that the Hubs and I are such nerds about school that we decided to spend our whole lives going there.

This year is sure to be crazy busy, but so much fun. I can't wait to see what sort of brain expansion occurs. We have a new token economy for our screen time (it involve chips worth 30 minutes each and budgeting time for how to spend them). We started it this weekend and it worked great. I'm hoping that it helps reduce some of the fights for how to balance time. The kids will start fall activities in a couple of weeks and I'd like to get a solid school routine down before we get too far into the year.

The best part about this year? My hours. I work 12-4. Meaning that when I get home from dropping the kids off to school, I have a few hours to do chores/errands...and ahem, a little computer time.

It is balance that I seek, yet again. I think we are off to a great start for finding it this year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

9 comments:

Jenifer said...

Holy cow those kids are big! We don't start school until after Labour Day and we haven't had our summer trip yet, so it seems strange to think your kids are already in your classes. Of course we get out of school (end of June) much later so that explains it, but still I feel like we forgot or something.

I like the idea of chips for screen time...how does it work?

Captain said...

I've missed you! Gone are the days when the cuzins blogged daily. I mean have you seen Sis's blog.

Slacker!

I expect to hear all about the exciting life of a fully in-school family!

Melanie D. said...

Our new token system for screen time:
The kids get two chips on school days (30 minutes each) and may spend them if they have their homework done and their rooms are picked up. It's for any screen time. Video games, computer, t.v. We decided that three would be good on the weekends. The potential exists to earn a bonus or lose a chip as a consequence. B's are white and Buddy's are blue, to avoid any dishonest practices. :-) Basically it limits screen time, but only minimally. They still get plenty and are allowed to make choices. It just forces them to set limits and budget their time. If they watch a show together, they each spend a chip (I have a cute jar to keep the chips in). If we watch something as a family or play wii all together, it does not cost a chip.

Hope that helps. So far it's working great. Takes the fight completely out of the situation and holds us all accountable to how we are spending our time.

Melanie D. said...

Oh! And we are making them turn any left overs in on Sunday night (Sunday night is electronics free from supper till bedtime) so that we don't have them banking three days worth of screen time for a major binge!

Jenifer said...

Thanks for the details! I haven't ever enforced a system, but I am trying to keep on top of tv watching and ipod time. I always love hearing about how other families manage.

Di said...

I am so happy a part time position open up for you. You are such an excellent teacher and this will allow you to give back without, hopefully giving your entire life to school. Sounds wonderful. Hope it works out perfectly. Love the chip system!!! Well done!

Wrath Of Mom said...

That's a great idea! Being at home all day means the lure of the tv and the computer is hard to resist. Especially for me.

Melanie D. said...

Nan - I had to get the tokens because of ME. I let the kids watch too much TV because I like TV too. And obviously like the computer. It holds me accountable just as much as setting boundaries for them!

perrie said...

I like that token system idea! We have an elaborate system set up for L., that we started this summer. Luckily, TV isn't so much an issue with T. but I might needs some tokens for myself! I love TV, too, and while I don't watch during the day, the kids are aware that Scott and I like to watch our shows at night!