Saturday, August 15, 2009

Grade 1

Learn –verb (used with object)
1. to acquire knowledge of or skill in by study, instruction, or experience: to learn French; to learn to ski.
2. to become informed of or acquainted with; ascertain: to learn the truth.
3. to memorize: He learned the poem so he could recite it at the dinner.
4. to gain (a habit, mannerism, etc.) by experience, exposure to example, or the like; acquire: She learned patience from her father.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My B had her first day of first grade this week. Very exciting! She has a brand new teacher (new to the building, new to teaching).

She had to fill in the blanks on a first day of school project. Learn. What a great word! Her teacher told her how to spell it, the first of many experiences they will share this year.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hubs and I discussed what the sketch represented (B was playing in her room at the time). My guess was a globe. Hubs said it was a brain. We called her down to find out. Her response, "Everyone thought is was the world, but it's a BRAIN!" Hubs: 1, Me: 0.

I envy my childrens' teachers a bit, the bonding that happens when you are helping someone expand their mind.

B, I can't wait for this year, for all that you are going to LEARN.




11 comments:

Midwest Beach Girl said...

Crap. I thought it was a basketball. Doesn't it look like one? I was all impressed with her artwork and then you said it was a brain. *Sigh* I guess I'll have to brush up on the interpretation of child art before I start commenting on Alaina, Celie and soon Kayla's stuff. Aunt Stacey has to stay cool.

Midwest Beach Girl said...

PS. Knowing it is a brain, I am STILL impressed.

Mimi in the Midwest said...

I loved teaching first grade. They are such eager learners. Enjoy and be ready to be blown away with her absorbtion of knowledge.

Mimi said...

Oh! That is the CUTEST thing. What a kid. Guess she takes after her parents, huh?

Good luck in first grade, B: I think yo're going to do great.

Anonymous said...

I thought it was a Van de Graaff generator. *sigh* I'm v. bad at guessing games.

Good for B. -- she's got a great attitude!

Aliki2006 said...

I got that it was a brain right away--what an amazing, creative thing to do with the concept!

Anonymous said...

Do my sis and I think alike or what?
I was on the basketball wavelength as well . . .

Have fun miss B!

Jenifer said...

Basketball then brain for me. Good luck in Grade 1 B, it is an awesome year for learning...

Jen said...

Yeah, I thought globe, too. : ) She looks great, all ready for the big day!

Swistle said...

I thought it was a brain. Or a basketball.

Michelle said...

"Learn" what a wonderful word for her to use to fill in that blank!

I first thought brain but when I looked at the 'stand' that it was on I thought 'globe' - although brain seemed to go with 'learn' better :)

hope she has a great year!