Sunday, August 9, 2009

Hitting the Pavement

We've had some good fun with chalk here as our summer break comes to an end. Two highlights were the day we completed a solar system on the driveway, complete with two rockets for the kids to ride in (why is it that I can't seem to draw a rocket that doesn't look like a sea creature?). They had fun traveling from planet to planet, even visiting the sun. B and I took turns labeling everything and pointing out a few characteristics of the planets. It wasn't drawn to scale and we definitely didn't have it all in the right order, but it was tons of fun.





Another day, we drew a road system on the sidewalk and the kids decided to bring out some small toys to live in the squares we pretended were houses. Also good fun. I'd like to think this is how I always parent, present and tuned in, playing with my kids. I honestly tend to leave them to their own devices during playtime, but this was a lot of fun and reminded me of how I liked to play when I was little. We had a big chalkboard and more than once my brother and I laid it on the floor and drew a matchbox car town. He's an artist, which made for a fantastic city sketch. I enjoyed this with my own kids and it was also a great way to talk shapes with our little man. B had fun expanding on it, forever drawn into her own imagination. We had dinosaurs, a small goat, a digi-penguin, and care bears all sharing the same community. Quite the diverse population!

Posted by Picasa

There goes the neighborhood! The goat is rooming with a pet rock!

11 comments:

nikkis30by30 said...

I wonder what will come of the pet rock/ goat combo!!

This looks like GREAT fun!! Our summer didn't include much chalk time. Normally, this is about all we do! Ugghhhhh where did summer go this year?!?!?


Oh yeah..... it's all in boxes in my garage.....

Mimi in the Midwest said...

Love the chalk play. I love your space ships, oops rockets. I was just wondering if you drew Pluto as a planet? I haven't found out how to teach that yet. Is Pluto a planet?

Jenifer said...

We do a lot of ABC and 123 games and of course hopscotch. Your designs are inspired!

Michelle said...

Now that is some fun chalk time! The only thing I ever make are hopscotch, a house, smiley faces, and their names! LOL

Midwest Beach Girl said...

Living with a goat!? I always knew those pet rocks were shady.

Good for you for getting out with your kids. I always remember the silly things with mom. Like making "bracelets" (More like wonder woman wrist cuffs) out of toilet roll tubes cut in half and painted gold. (These were of course then covered in those cheap little jewels.)

Anonymous said...

I would have loved to see the creative cities that big brother came up with for you.

Maybe you could pawn off the rocket as one that can go under water. Kind of James Bond-ish.

Aliki2006 said...

I love these!

Nicole said...

That looks like so much fun! You've inspired me to break out the sidewalk chalk (as soon as it stops raining, that is...)

Beck said...

Playing with chalk is ALWAYS fun. We like to trace our shadows on sunny days and then colour them in. Good times!

LoriAnn said...

What a great time - and you are so lucky to have been present and in the moment for the fun!

Mimi said...

You know what? That looks like a TON of fun, actually. And I bet everyone who walks by on the street has a smile, too. Nice!