Friday, February 12, 2010

Contentment (n): Synonyms: serenity, gladness, satisfaction, ease

The cyclical nature of the years passing is amazing to me. I do not exaggerate.

In October, I realized it was a down time for me and had been for several years. Maybe more.

Last night, I read old posts about friends and loss and sadness and realized this time of year is also very reflective for me.

I'm so grateful that I have my writing to look back on. To realize there are certain points when I feel a little low. When things get a little rough. I can count on the fact that I'll feel better soon. There's so much comfort in that.

The low isn't as low this year. The sting is not so acute. The pain is more of a memory than a current feeling.

I know that at some point there will be new sadness. New grief.
I guess there's also comfort knowing that I can take whatever life throws at me.

The peace I feel, I suppose is part of becoming a grown up.
Confidence in my ability to handle life's curve balls.

Today I want nothing more than exactly what I've got. Where I am.
What a gift. Contentment.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I definitely believe there are happy and sad seasons, and that they sometimes stay with us for a long time past the actual happy or sad events. I have an aunt, actually, who over a span of several years lost a baby, lost her mom, and got a divorce, all in August. Now, every year she just plans on being sad throughout August. Every year. And I think in some ways it's comforting to her, to just know and accept and go with it, instead of feeling surprised or blindsided by this grief over and over again.

Mimi in the Midwest said...

Wow, OM. I didn't get to that "place" until I was in my 40's. It's a good place to be.

Aliki2006 said...

I think contentment is the best gift of all. And it's important to realize that life has lows and highs--this realization is something that comes with age, and something I had to learn myself.

Anonymous said...

Cyclical.

Is it sad or silly that that word make me think of 'The wheels on the bus' going round and round?

I'm ashamed to say that based on the cyclical nature of your posts I'm about ready to cry because that means that you are about to take your annual hiatus from bogging for lent.

Sniff, sniff. P-p-please don't leave me!!