Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Popcorn, Toast, or Scrambled Eggs

Since we've met, one or both of us have been in college. We like being students, the Husband and me.

Right now, he's working towards his doctorate. This is something that I admire him for very much. The word dissertation gives me hives. He takes it in stride, seemingly fearless about comps, dissertations, and the time that stretches ahead.

This semester he's gone Tuesdays and Thursdays until almost 8:00.

This leads to a more...ahem...casual dining experience a couple of times a week.

Tonight the little man and I are eating popcorn and peanuts. We had cinnamon toast earlier, when we got home from school. B is at a play date until after supper. When she's home I sometimes get a little fancier still and we eat cheesy scrambled eggs with our toast. There's usually fruit for dessert and we are satisfied.

It seems old fashioned of me, only feeling the need to cook a "real" dinner when the Hubs is home. It is what it is.

We miss him, but eating like we are in college too is kind of fun. I think on Thursday we might eat cheese melted on tortillas. Another no-cook supper favorite!

11 comments:

Mimi in the Midwest said...

Oh...cheesy burritos! They had a name when my children were little. Add a glass of milk and apple slices and it's a complete meal. I loved those days. I think they were "kid times".

Midwest Beach Girl said...

When mama went back to school, dad took over the cooking. I don't really remember it being tragic that she was gone (really, I don't mom), but you know what I remember? Instant mac and cheese with SPAM. Who eats SPAM??

Pretty sure dad would alternate steak and spam if mom let him. Even though I will never eat it again, I have fond memories of that canned, gelatinous meat.

Girlplustwo said...

i think it sounds perfect.

Jen said...

I'm the same way...no need to go all out when there is only one adult present. Truth be told, it is also because I don't have the energy to fight with my middle child (the picky one) to eat what was served when I'm on my own. Pick my battles, right? : )

kristi said...

I don't blame ya one bit!

Swistle said...

I like eating that way, too! Mmmmm, scrambled eggs with cheese. Or a fried egg sandwich! Or cereal!

Aliki2006 said...

I'm old-fashioned that way, too! I love the feeling that I can cook up a casual dinner--cereal for the kids, toast.

Anonymous said...

Ah if only.......

Beck said...

I think it's very funny that as soon as my husband ISN'T coming home for supper, I stop cooking altogether. Who KNEW that my cooking switch had a Man Setting?

Anonymous said...

Personally I think it's about being appreciated -- my kids are just as happy with a bowl of Mini Wheats as a with a roast.

Michelle said...

When Joe was deployed last time I started to feel guilty about how many dinners I wasn't 'cooking'! I felt the same way - like I only made "real" dinners when he was home too. But when it was just me and Kayla? and she would eat hardly anything for dinner anyway? We had cereal and oatmeal more times than I can count!