Saturday, May 9, 2009

Muffins


I've been hunting for the PERFECT banana muffin recipe. Trying out several varieties in the last week. I made some whiz-bang muffins. They were good, but not quite what I'm looking for. Right now, there are Banana Crumb Muffins in my oven and I'm very optimistic. How can anything topped with brown sugar and butter be bad?

My nephews, ages 5, 3, and 1 are coming for an overnight stay in just under an hour. The thought of entertaining and feeding five children on my own for 8+ hours has me itchy. I know some women have that many every day. Or those who run a home daycare and have even more five days a week. We'll see how it goes, I'm sure they'll have lots of fun. I have bubbles, popsicles, and a movie or two planned. The interesting part will be this evening, when I think they all need to go to bed. That has me the itchiest!
So the baking is therapy, it's calming me down. Knowing I'll have a healthy, wholesome snack for them.


Wish me luck!
Edited to add: The kids were great. Energetic, but great. Busy, but great. The sleep was very light, but it was a good night all in all. The muffins? Really good. The only bad part was that I ate more of them than the children. B liked them, but the nephews were not crazy about them.
Mother's Day was lovely. We planted some flowers that the kids had given me and they gave me all sorts of lovely treats. I felt like the queen, just the way a mama should.
And yes, Mimi and Beck, send those recipes over my way. I would love to continue the quest. There seems to be no shortage here of over-ripe bananas. I keep buying the bananas and we keep not finishing them.

8 comments:

Jen said...

Good luck! And let us know how the muffins turn out...they sound like a winner!

Beck said...

How's it going?
I have a tasty banana-oatmeal muffin recipe. Lemme know if you want it.

Mimi in the Midwest said...

I think I waited too long to make my over ripe bananas into another state of food. The muffin recipe DOES sound like a winner. Let us know!! Enjoy those kids. I found it easier to have more kids (not my own). My kids were very well behaved when they had company. Hope that holds true for you. Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Hope it went well!

And why don't I see chocolate chips in those banana muffins? You MUST have chocolate chips. It's a rule. Or something.

Mimi said...

Wow! Good luck.

There's a famous canadian muffin book, and it has a recipe for 'best ever banana muffins' that my mom has been making since the early 1980s. They are the best ever. Email me if you're still looking.

Kim said...

Hoping all went well!

Jumped over here after reading your comment for jen.

Your response was EXACTLY what mine would have been!

Aliki2006 said...

I would be nervous, too, with all those kiddos! Glad it went so well--and I always end up eating more than the kids all the time.

Lynn said...

Those are some good looking kids! :)