Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Stinkin' Hives

I type this, trying to stay awake in a Benadryl haze.

It never fails, as soon as I get a little smug and mention to someone that I've really learned to avoid tree nuts...gah! It's happened more times than I can count. About once a year for the last 20 or so years. I think to myself, hey! I haven't had any run-ins with walnuts or pecans in a long time! and wham! There ya have it. Whether it's cross-contamination in an Almond Joy, a mysterious shaved pecan in a cream cheese dip, or today - showing my kids how to try the leftover salad from yesterday's BBQ. See kids? It's yummy! Ack!!! Nuts!!!

It's called Cranberry Celebration. It looks like a jello salad. Did not even consider that it may have walnuts in it. Grrrr.

What happens then is that I take two Benadryl and wait out the hive on my lip and mild swelling in my throat (much more favorable than severe swelling, let me tell you...). All of that fuss and all I did was chew one tiny piece of walnut (and spit it out quickly). Can't imagine the trouble I'd be in if I ate a large quantity. We'd be calling 911, that's what.

Today it makes me grateful that so far our kids seem to have dodged any food allergies. So far. They certainly haven't eaten any tree nuts that I know of.

I can't imagine having to worry and fuss over a child with more severe, numerous food allergies. I know how miserable they make me and mine haven't been life threatening (for the most part...).

As a parent, I have real empathy for people who have to watch every bite their children eat. I also see how people can get a little wacky about it. It's a really serious thing! And people don't always take it seriously. I had asked the waiter at a Cheesecake Factory in Baton Rouge if there were nuts in the cheesecake I was ordering. He said no. I ordered it. As my throat started to swell, I asked him if he was sure. He said, and I quote, "Well ma'am, there's pecans in the crust." I quickly paid my ticket so we could speed off to a pharmacy for my sleepy pink pills.

I'm grateful that we don't have to deal with it with the kids, but know that it could still happen any day.

Now I have one more thing to be suspicious of, deli jello salads. Dang-it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you didn't tip that waiter. What a goof.

Kim said...

WOW. That would be so worrisome. Worse if it were your children, I'm sure.

What a way to start summer. Maybe you can get that out of the way and now it will be smooth sailing.

Anonymous said...

I remember once almost killing your sister because I mixed the pomanders with walnuts with the non walnut ones at a holiday meal.

I couldn't figure out why mom made such a big deal about separating them. . . I was only 8 or so.

I wouldn't have argued to not pay the check and no tip for the waiter either.

Mimi in the Midwest said...

Hey, I've heard they are coming up with a way to treat food allergies. They do it the same way they do environmental allergies- in tiny amounts. Maybe you could start that allergy shot system...... I've heard it is near being available to the general public. Hope got to sleep a little in that haze.

Aliki2006 said...

Ouch. Sorry about the hives--that doesn't sound fun at all.