Thursday, March 22, 2007

ages and stages

Short post ahead because I really should already be in bed asleep.

My 3-year old rolled her eyes at me tonight. ROLLED HER EYES. Suddenly, she was 15. And I was taken aback. I'm not afraid to admit it. I told her no and she rolled her eyes. Perfectly, as if she'd been doing it all along. It was the first time I had seen it and it was executed so perfectly. I said (in my best mom voice), "Sometimes no just means no." Her reply? "And sometimes, mommy, no really means yes!" Oh my.

So here is my question: I hear that age 4 is actually much more peaceful than 3, is this true? Or just a myth? I must know. I keep holding on to the hope that 4 is actually that age when things "settle down". I'm kidding myself, aren't I?

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I sure would like to think 4 will be more peaceful because 4 will be here soon and there is a light at the end of the tunnel! :) I'll be so glad when Kayla is out of the "no!" stage, but then again - does that ever happen?! :)

Hey I do have some good news for you though. Make sure you check out my post from Wed (Where to start?) and especially watch the video!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I hate to be such a downer, but for me, 4 to 4.5 was/is the worst time I've had in parenting girls. With 4 daughters, ranging from 18 to 3, I DREAD the upcoming 6 months. After 4.5, though, it's all good @ our house until 15, for the girls. There's something about having enough cognitive development to understand a lot, having more independence, and a strong certainty that they are always right that causes them to attempt to set up major control battles. Mine were convinced I was clueless. But, it all calms down in 6 months, and your sweet child magically reappears. So, at least ya have that to look forward to. Different story for boys. They seem to have a different timetable. Then again, it might be just my daughters. Maybe yours will skate right through this. Here's hoping!
Barbara,
a lurker