Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Decision Time

At 2 weeks

I took my little guy to a dermatologist on Monday morning. He has a mole on his forehead that has grown since birth. When he was born, it was faint and smooth. Now it's quite pronounced and has texture. We decided to get it checked out because we do have skin cancer in the family (not that we thought this was cancerous, but that he is at risk) and because we don't want it to hinder his teenage dating life. Isn't that vain? Are we ridiculous to think we should have this taken off if only for aesthetic reasons?

So we went. She called it a birth mole and said that we could absolutely have it taken off and insurance would probably cover because of minimal risks of skin cancer. We just have to consult a plastic surgeon. Doh! Why did I think she could just lop it off in the office like they do with me?
But that's not the end of it. She says, "And what is this bump on his brow bone?" I say, "I dunno. He bumps his head almost daily." She says, "No, this is a dermoid cyst, it has to be removed. The plastic surgeon can take care of this also."

Crap. So now we have to go to a plastic surgeon. He has to go under general anesthetic. The big decision is whether to have them take only the cyst? Or to do both, since he'll already be out and it's minimally invasive.



Barely there at 2 months

Darker and raised at 12 months
I can't decide. Hubs is on the fence, leaning towards take it off.


9 comments:

Bea said...

I would be hesitant to go for a general anaesthetic just to take care of the mole, but if he's out anyway? I'd say go for it. That's a spot that gets a lot of sun - and I'd think the scarring would be less if you do it at a young age.

Michelle said...

I hate making decisions like that too! When it's something that's not medically necessary. I was going to pretty much say the same thing as bub did above though...since he's already out for the one procedure, why not just get the mole taken care of at the same time.

OhTheJoys said...

You should check out a blog called The Avery Lane Experience and connect with Paige. Her daughter has had multiple facial surgeries and she started the blog to deal with it - you should look around in the archives.

Melanie D. said...

Hey Joy. Thanks. I invited Ms. Avery Lane's mom over to see what she thinks.

Right now the main thing stressing me out is the whole anesthesia thing and the scars. Ugh. That's a lot, isn't it?

nikkis30by30 said...

Remember how much I cried when they put Jenna under for her tubes? I cried for days before and all during the procedure. It was awful. Horrible. I will not sit here and tell you (knowing that you are just like I am) that it will be a walk in the park. But.... here is my opinion.....

Get the cyst removed. Sounds like that NEEDS to be done. The mole? I LOVE IT. It is part of what makes Mason, Mason. It is NOT ugly. It is NOT hideous. And when he is old enough, HE can make the decision to have it done, if he so chooses.

Again, these are just my opinions. Making these decisions is never easy. Let me know when you decide what to do!!

Jenifer said...

I'm in the camp of if he is out anyway, just do it and save him from exactly what you are deciding right now.

I agree with B&P and it is a place that gets lots of sun, I think in the end protecting his skin, his heart, his self-esteem are all valid reasons.

Papoosie Girl had tubes in her ears and was put under at just under two and it was torture, but you know what we are are fine.

It is a hard decision, but my gut would say eliminate this before it is a risk.

Let us know of course.

Anonymous said...

OTJ is right. My daughter has had 12 facial surgeries in the past two years of her life, each time going under general anesthesia to get the job done. Like you, we went to a plastic surgeon as well and hemmed and hawed about whether to do it at all. Ultimately, we decided it would be best to do it in the long run. If you'd like to email me about it, I'd be happy to discuss the particulars in more detail so I don't hijack your comments.

:-)

California mom said...

Wow, what a hard decision. I have to say though that if there is not any additional risk to him then having the mole removed at the same time would seem like a good idea. Although, I must say that I agree that the mole is not Horrible, or gross, or anything like that. Follow your hearts and you will never be wrong.

N. said...

Okay, so the rules of the 8 Thing Meme say I should come over and tag you via comment so here is my gesture of compliance:
TAG!