Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Independence Day

On my side of the family, my dad's side of the family gets together every 4th of July for an Independence Day bash. My parents live out in the country on 4 acres so it's a great setting for said bash. There are 9 (sometimes 11) children age 14 on down to 1 who accompany the adults. It is big fun in rural Nebraska. The kids swim, run through sprinklers, play in the sand box, and then in late afternoon out come the fire crackers, smoke bombs, and other "kid-friendly" (ha! no such thing) fireworks. We have an awesome potluck supper where everyone brings the same things every year. It's a meal the rivals Thanksgiving dinner in terms of deliciousness.

Tomorrow is no exception, we're headed out after lunch.

The evening show is the best. The men all spend way too much money on fireworks and get the display ready all evening while the women tend to the children. They have sawhorses and plywood and get it set up out in the garden. After dark we all grab our chairs and blankets (if needed), reapply the bug spray, and get settled to watch the show. One year they almost shot the barn. One year something exploded right among them. I can still hear my brother's laugh, the way it burst out after that one. A mixture of fear and amazement. Afterwards they rehash the show to see what they can improve on for next year.

It really is good fun.

After the party, we bathe the kids quickly, then it's off to bed. We adults sit up and talk about what a great day it was as we all finish off our beers.

What better way to spend the 4th. With my family all around me.

Last year, Brenna is all dressed up to go.

What a difference a year makes! Mason with his aunt last year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday morning the hubs and I are off on a road trip without the kids. They'll be staying at my parents' while we head out to Cheyenne, Wyoming for a friend's wedding. I'm excited for the trip, it will be so fun to go to a wedding and enjoy it without chasing kids or keeping them out of the slide show, d.j. equipment, cake, etc. But I'm also worried I'll miss my kids and that my parents will be overwhelmed. It's the first time we've left the kids to take a trip. Hubs and I took a trip to Kansas City for our first wedding anniversary. We haven't really gone anywhere alone together since then (that was 5 years ago). We are overdue for a little break together.

Today is a barrage of packing and planning. I've got to get productive today. Laundry and packing. I do work best under pressure. I hear the coffee finishing, so I'm off. I'll be back Sunday!

Happy Independence Day!!!

7 comments:

nikkis30by30 said...

You may have inspired me to blog abotu the 4th at Grandma and Grandpa Shafer's!!! The sawhorses and plywood...... remember those long boards on sawhorses with the glass pop bottles where we got to set off our bottle rockets?? And the year that one set the tree between Gma and Gpa's house and Uncle Clayton's on fire?? It was actually a bird nest in the tree that caught fire, but am I the only one that remembers these things? You were there, weren't you??

nikkis30by30 said...

Oh yeah....

TAKE LOTSA PICTURES!!!! I hope Mason loves the noise and lights! LOL!!! Like there is any doubt!

Melanie D. said...

Yes, I remember all of that! And that huge trailer Grandpa would fill with illegal fireworks! Man, he was a bad ass. A legend before his time, I say.

Jacqniel said...

Sounds like fun! Have a great time. You are right - you are long overdue for this childless trip. Your parents will do just fine - and you can actually relax and enjoy the wedding.

Mimi said...

Oh wow! Have a WONDERFUL trip. I'm sure you'll really enjoy, and I'm discovering that Gramma and Grampa have more resources that we tend to give them credit for.

The Independence Day celebrations you describe sound really really fun. Hope you've got more firecrackers than mosquitoes ;-)

Michelle said...

happy 4th! What a great tradition that sounds like your family has - such fun memories!

Try to relax and not stress about leaving the kids - just enjoy the time together!

OhTheJoys said...

I hope you had a great time!