Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Staying Flexible, Feeling Tired

Note on the menu plan front: I always allow for changes. For example: tonight there was no way in hell I was cooking pork chops in the oven for an hour, when I came home from work at 6:15. So tonight was Chinese take-out, tomorrow will most likely be left over Italian from the last two pasta meals I've made. I'll probably modify my pork chop recipe to throw in the crock pot on Thursday. I can't plan to bake something for that long on a school night when we've just started back (not home early enough). I just push stuff down the list if it gets moved. If it looks like meat will get put aside for more than a few days in the fridge, I throw it in the freezer. It's super-convenient, flexible, and I've already got the groceries. I call it doing what works.

I've worked 20 hrs in the past two days and am likely to work 10 more tomorrow. It's only bad for a few weeks and then I'll be able to leave by 4:00 for the majority of days. Here for a while though, we are all pretty tired. Sigh.

I'm off to do a few more things for work yet tonight, so I can be ready for more tomorrow. It will be Wednesday already, the week is absolutely flying away. Nightie night.

5 comments:

Beck said...

Poor you. THat first week back is hard, isn't it? Everything will start feeling back to normal soon, though.

Aliki2006 said...

Good luck with the adjustment...it can be tough, I know.

Jacqniel said...

Oh Melanie - I wondered when you had those one hour pork chops on your list, as I remembered our working to 6:00 or later last fall! The first few weeks are the pits. So much to do, so many meetings, so little time. The crock pot is the perfect idea. Hang in there!

Stacey said...

Hopefully you can get it all done and manage to have some "you" time
I was just looking at your family picture and noticed how much your son looks like your husband and how much you daughter looks like you.
How funny that it worked out that way.

Melanie D. said...

People comment on that a lot (the kids resembling their same sex parent). Even funnier is that my daughter's eyes are the same as hubs' (hazel) and baby boy got my eyes (blue). Genetics are amazing.